Facial rolling is a centuries-old skincare ritual with roots in ancient Chinese culture. For our founder, Angela Jia Kim, it was a routine she admired from a very young age, mesmerized by her aunt's facial massage routine.
"...when she finished, her skin was the shiniest I've ever seen."
Every morning and evening during a summer spent in Seoul, Angela would watch as her aunt performed this ritual, which she so cherished and savored.
Facial rolling has many skincare benefits, including improved circulation, which helps to even out the skin tone, increase healing, decrease dark spots, detoxify the skin, and reduce under-eye circles. In addition to its many skincare benefits, facial rolling releases muscle tension and helps you to let go of emotional stress that you hold in your body.
Here is Angela's Self-Love Roll + Glow Ritual:
RITUAL: Self-Love Roll + Glow
For when you want to let go of emotional tension.
Time: 5-30 minutes
Ingredients: Facial roller, beauty oil of your choice, mirror
Optional Upgrades: Soothing music, candle, journal
- Breathe. Take a deep breath in and out.
- Dedicate. Is there anything that you want to let go? You can “let it be” and melt away and shed what no longer serves you: the tight grip, the fear, the expectations.
- Roll. Follow the protocol below.
- Apply one drop of a beauty oil onto your forehead.
- Take the small end of the roller and massage in upward motions between the forehead. Breathe in and breathe out, asking what the tension is trying to tell you. Let it go as you relax.
- Massage the rest of the forehead with the large end of the roller or your palms.
- Apply another 1 to 2 drops of the serum onto the cheek area and roll using the large end in an upward motion. Breathe in and breathe out, asking what the tension is trying to tell you. Let it go as you relax.
- Use the small end to massage under the eyes to increase circulation and decrease puffiness.
- Apply another 1 to 2 drops of the serum onto the neck and décolleté area and roll using the large end in an upward motion. Breathe in and breathe out, asking what the tension is trying to tell you. Let it go as you relax.
- As you roll, allow yourself to let go of the tension and stress.
- Continue the process of rolling down your neck to stimulate the lymphatic system for deeper cleansing.
- Affirm. Write down any revelations or messages you had during the process. If there was an affirmation or message that emerged, add it to your affirmations deck.
For more self-love rituals to manifest abundance, beauty, and joy, read Angela's book, Radical Radiance.
Edited excerpt from RADICAL RADIANCE: by Angela Jia Kim. Copyright © 2022 by the author and reprinted with permission of St. Martin's Publishing Group.